Monday, June 17, 2024

FOR THE BIRDS - BLOG HOP

 Tweet, tweet to Joan for organizing another thought provoking hop.  I thought Birds sounded fun and relatively simple.   Fun, yes, but by my own creatively which got out of hand not so simple.

Lets begin with my bird of choice



Yes he is an American Eagle.  I live in The Villages, Fl with about 150,000 other Adults.  We are very heavy into supporting our many veterans around here. The local American Legion is the largest in the world.

The local chapter of HONOR FLIGHT sends 4 flights with about 64 Vets on each flight to Washington, DC each year and 1 Virtual flight.  All for Vets from this area.

Each Vet receives a patriotic themed quilt.  Several different organizations make the quilts including the Quilt Guild of The Villages of which I'm a member.  While any patriotic themed quilt is appreciated  many of the vets prefer a quilt that is Branch Specific. The panel I was asked to work on was for the Navy with  THE BIRD. Such great timing. 




I had an idea of what I wanted to do with this panel.  I'm old school so I took out my graph paper and markers and set to it.  My thoughts started with 3 maybe 4 stars across the top.  Somehow I ended up with 20 stars surrounding the panel.  So I now  had my plan and headed out on vacation.

The problem was that I kinda forgot that this quilt was to be finished for this hop,  Honor Flight doesn't need it until September. It didn't kick in until Joan started sending participant notes to us.



Thankfully I really do my best work under pressure. I started working on it Friday morning and finished it this morning (Sunday).  The friendship stars took a lot longer than I planned on. I really hate trimming up HST's.


I love how it is coming out.  I still need to do the final sew down of the binding and want to add a bit more quilting but if I had to gift it tomorrow I could.

Next up are the birds on my polaroid quilt.   I am getting a lot of milage out of that quilt.  Amazing how diverse it is.




                                                       Hope to see you all next month. 

I am including the full list of this Hops participants. If you haven't visited them yet please do you will be so happy you did.

                                                                            June 17

MooseStashQuilting

Karrin’s Crazy World

Quilting Between the Rails

Selina Quilts

Quilt Doodle Designs

 

June 18

Homespun Hannah's Blog

BeaQuilter

Words & Stitches

High Road Quilter

Quilted Delights

Quilted Snail

 

June 19

Patchouli Moon Studio

A Quiltery

Ms P Designs USA

Stitching Farm Girl

Scrapdash

 

June 20

Just Let Me Quilt

Isabella’s Whimsy

Quilting Gail

Hazel's Daughter

Songbird Designs

20 comments:

  1. Wow, you DO work under pressure! The eagle quilt is awesome--someone will be thrilled to receive it. I love those Polaroid birds too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That eagle quilt is gorgeous. I can't believe you got it done in so little time. Half square triangles are so fun to trim aren't they? LOL!! I have a lot of eye spy kind of fabric put away to start a polaroid quilt, but I haven't been as good as you are at getting the blocks put together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The eagle quilt is lovely, and I love those little birdies! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Eagle quilt, Selina! Those Polaroid birds are cute too! I have had a Polaroid quilt on my to do list for a long time! Maybe I will just make one block to test it out and see if I want to make more?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving that eagle quilt with the star border! It will make a wonderful Honor Flight gift that will be totally appreciated I'm sure. Oooo those little birdies in the Polaroid blocks...cute! I'm like Daryl and have that on my long to-do list. Thanks for sharing, Selina!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a beautiful quilt. Some veteran will treasure it. Our QOV group just gave 2 quilts that were awarded to local Honor Flight participants. Such a great way to honor our veterans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You work well under pressure! Eagles are so majestic and so is your QOV quilt...very well done! The Poloroid cuties are such a sweet (tweet?) bunch too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really nice Veterans quilt. The Polaroid blocks are nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning veterans quilt, and a great way to say "Thank you for your service!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. That’s such a great organization. I had two uncles that made the journey in their 90s and treasured the memories. Lovely quilt for the vet who receives it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the patriotic quilt. And the polaroid blocks are darling

    ReplyDelete
  12. great quilt! love your polaroids too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your birds, they're adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The patriotic eagle quilt is awesome, but I love those little polaroid birdies too! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for supporting veterans!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great work! Thanks for supporting such a magnificent cause! I adore the Polaroid birds! 💜

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your patriotic quilt is beautiful and will be well received, I'm sure. And the Polaroid birds are pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice job under pressure, Selina! You're always so generous with your making. This will become a beautiful, patriotic quilt for a Navyman, or woman. Great work! I also thinking those Polaroid designs are cute. You make fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.