Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Show Your Wings - Blog Hop

Good morning and welcome to my day of the Show Your Wings Blog Hop.

So many choices to make for this hop.  All we needed to do was pick a wing any wing and get creative in a quilty way.

My brain and my embroidery machine were in their glory.  I had taken a class in January to learn a few of the fun things embroidery machines are capable of.  It just so happened that a lot of the class work was centered around winged things.







I'm just a little partial to the bees but not enough to make as many more as needed for a project.  I could have done as intended and made a pillow but that was a little too busy for my tastes.

Then I had an idea, how about finding an airplane design for play time on the machine. 


I found this lovely, simple, winged jet in a couple of sizes.  I wanted to keep it simple.  Just planes is 2 sizes.  The real problem would be how to set them.
The planes were all done from fabric scraps found in my various scrap bins. 


I was lucky enough to find the perfect background fabric at a local quilt shop. I then just did some really basic white sashing.  I tried it without the sashing but the skys were looking like an accident waiting to happen.


Just a simple white with gray circles for a backing with a red, white and blue star binding.


A little bit better view of the planes.


This quilt is intended for this years Hands To Help Comfort Quilt Challenge.

Including this photo just so you could see how well the background fabric matches the real world.



Well that's all I have to offer this go round.  Thanks for stopping by and thanks to those of you who have the time to leave a comment.  I do hope you have the time to visit with all of the other creators of winged things this week, I'm including a list so you can find them all.

Thank you Carol  over at Just Let Me Quilt for coordinating this amazing event.

Check out all the amazing bloggers who are participating:


February 18

February 19

February 20

February 21



31 comments:

  1. I love this quilt. The planes and sky/cloud fabric are perfect for each other. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really enjoying your new machine. That is wonderful sky fabric and what a cute quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your plane quilt is very nice! The sky fabric works perfectly with the scrappy planes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your airplane quilt turned out adorable. You really are having a fun time with your new machine. The butterflies are a fun variety. I too was drawn immediately to the bees. I have rubber stamp I always love with a bee in flight. Someday you’ll have enough test blocks to put them all together for a collage quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea for the planes flying in the clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your airplane quilt is oh so cute. Nice job on the embroidery too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very cute quilt. I know whoever receives it will love it. All of the airplanes are adorable and look so pretty on the fabric you choose for the clouds. Thank you for sharing today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you covered all the bases! That airplane quilt is certain to offer comfort. Thanks for sharing.
    MelvaLovesScraps(at)NolanQualityCustoms(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very awesome! So beautiful! Enjoy your day! :-) :-) angielovesgary2 atgmail dotcom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just. Perfect.

    Planes on sky background for H2H...couldn't be better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All great projects but I have to say the airplane quilt is my favorite, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sweet, your airplane quilt is wonderful. have fun playing with your machine. thanks for sharing today.
    quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so fun to see all your embroidery adventures. Those planes are amazing and there's so many of them...you rock that embroidery thing! I love the sashing between the planes as it sets each one off and luckily, there isn't an "accident waiting to happen." Thanks for hopping with us and sharing all your wings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good Morning! Oh what a fun quilt. I love all of those planes, and that background fabric. Could it BE any more perfect?!! It always amazes me all the different patterns available in fabric - just about anything your imagination can dream up. What a fabulous charity quilt. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your (embroidery) class projects and those chubby little airplanes. Bonus points for using scraps! That's a sweet donation quilt for Hands 2 Help. I feel certain that it will be SEW appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fun to see so many machine embroidery designs. Since I don't own an embroidery machine, at least I can see what others do with theirs. So sweet to donate the quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute projects, love the airplane quilt. I did a machine embroidery quilt for my grandson with vehicles when he we little

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your an embroidery queen already! Way to go on your projects. I love the airplane quilt. Such a happy quilt you know someone is going to cherish it forever.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your machine embroidery is beautiful! Love the airplane quilt. Thank you for sharing in the hop ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your aeroplanes busy flying around on your quilt. Yes,you were wise to use sashing to separate each block, and the cloudy background fabric was a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That turned out really nicely with the sashing. I love skies like that when the clouds are out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh so cute! My new Bernina has an embroidery option but I have yet to use it. Waiting on my embroidery class. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank You for Hopping and sharing your Wings.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These airplanes are adorable. What a great quilt for the hands to help. It's so much fun and will be truly loved.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm sure this sweet quilt will be very well received. I love the background fabric, just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  26. A very adorable airplane quilt - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a cute airplane quilt!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. A very cute quilt and perfec for H2H. Liked your embroidery too. I have got to learn how to use mine.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a neat quilt with all the airplane. Love your background, and the white sashing makes it soar.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.