Monday, March 22, 2021



                                                     Welcome, welcome, welcome to the

                                                   

Thank you Carol of Just Let Me Quilt for inviting us all to splash and play in the sand,  sun and salty waters. 

I have 2 new projects made to share with you on this hops opening day.

This hop coincided with the birth of the latest addition to our family.  Our beautiful little girl was born last week.  I asked her mom if she wanted anything in particular for the baby's first quilt.  She picked the quilt pattern LUCKY DUCKS from Cute Quilt Patterns . Absolutely perfect for this hop that she didn't even know was coming.


This is the mama duck.  All of the ducks had 3D bills and wings.  My niece asked that I stitch them down.  So I attached them according to the pattern and then appliqued down the edges. I also appliqued the eyes on.  I personally am not into buttons on quilts for babies and toddlers.


Lighting left a bit to be desired.  The wings are all different shades of yellow to the duck it's on but the same as one of its siblings bodies. 

My second project was based on a tutorial I found on  Sew Can She  a couple of weeks ago for a "quilt as you go " technique that I had never tried.  It consists of using strips of fabric, the tutorial used 2.5 inch strips of fabric and strips of batting and you end up with a quilted reversible quilt.  Click on the link, her explanation and video are very clear.  

I wasn't ready to commit to a whole quilt.  Not one to waste an opportunity I decided that if I did a test piece  using 6 strips of fabric for the front and 6 different strips for the back I could test the technique and make a set of placemats by just cutting the sample in half. 

Can't believe that I have no picture of the base strips sewn together , DuH.

Since I didn't have a home in mind for these placemats pulling fabric started out kind of iffy and then I tripped over these turtles hanging out in my stash begging to come out and play.

                              and remembered the theme of this hop and ta da sky, Sand, and Salt.  


I used 2 strips of each color for the front of the placemats and used alternating strips for the back.

                                       

                                       The flip side will be wonderful for summer barbeques.

                                        

Over the course of the past year I did complete 2 other quilts that I feel fit this hop perfectly.  The first one was made for the big brother of the newbie's birthday.  



I believe that these subs are hanging out in a lot of Salt water.

Then there was this cutie that I saw and had to have my tumbler fish fix.  I realize it's not quilted but that is intentional.  It went to an organization in Canada that takes quilt tops and finishes them up there for various charities.  They would rather that our shipping costs go to getting tops to them than for batting and backings.  I love that concept.

So there you have my visions of Salt and Sun. I hope you have enjoyed your visit here and that you will find the time to visit all of the rest of the participating quilters who will be sharing their wonderful Sunny and Salty ideas with you this week. Here is a list of links for all of us for your convenience.

March 22

41 comments:

  1. Wow, so many adorable projects. Congrats on the new baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new baby! Such a lovely quilt for her! Your other projects are beautiful too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful projects! Congrats on the new addition to the family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the adorable duck quilt! All your projects are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute ... cute ... cute ... cute. I love the duckies and the fishies and the sealife. Thank you for sharing in the hop. Congratulations to your growing family ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Selina! The ducks baby quilt is super adorable! I did notice the wing fabrics being different from the bodies. A perfect idea. Having everything sewn down for a baby is the best idea to insure no mishaps and baby’s safety.
    The placemats are fun. Both are great designs for summer meals. Also a great way to test a pattern before committing to a large quilt.
    The submarines are so cute and the tumbler fish are great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both projects are terrific, but the double sided placemats that use up more scraps and work for 2 different themes are inspirational. Thanks for sharing.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed all of your projects. The baby will get years of enjoyment from the duckie quilt. Such a cutie,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the ducks - so cute. And I agree, as cute as buttons look, they are not good for baby quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of fun quilt ideas at your house! And I really like those placemats, too. Quick and useful are a good combination for a project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, those ducks are just the cutest! I don't use buttons on quilts very often, but especially not on baby ones. Sweet placemats and those previous quilts are perfect for this hop. Congratulations on adding a little girl to your family...they are so fun to sew for! Thank you for filling us with ocean ideas today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. First off, congratulations on the new addition. I'm so excited for you all. What an adorable little ducky quilt she has now too. Those two sided place mats are such a great idea. The quilts you made earlier are so cute. I really love the submarines. They remind me of the Beatles!

    ReplyDelete
  13. that quilt is just quackers! great eye candy too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The double sided placemats are great. More ways to use and love what we make. The ducky quilt is so cute. I love the last one looking at you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful projects! Love the duckies and yellow submarines! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great projects! Thanks for sharing with us. I love the duck quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adorable ducks plus the tumbler fish too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What fun quilts, but the story of the ducks is an amazing serendipity bit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Selina, Thanks for sharing! I believe that you have your ducks in a row!!! Lots of lovely projects for this blog hop!
    I'm interested in knowing more about the Canadian charity that takes quilt tops ... you can email me at quilting gail at yahoo dot ca (no spaces and the at and dot are the usual email thingies) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sweet projects! Those ducks are too cute! And the tumbler fish--clever! I like the subs & placemats too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sure the new mom loves this adorable duck quilt! Your new placemats are wonderful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing all of your projects. I made a similar duck quilt for one of my youngest grandchildren just a while back. Yours turned out fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Soooo sweet. Love the placemats also.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So many great projects. Your duck quilt is very sweet and I'm sure it will be a favourite of the little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Rubber duckies are so cute. And a quilt made of them is extra cute.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats on the wonderful new addition to the family. Those ducks are adorable. I also don't like buttons on baby quilts either. I think the embellishments should be at a minimum to keep things soft and safe. Those are all lovely finishes and they fit the theme so well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Selina the rubber duckies is just too precious for your new addition to the family. Your fish tumbler quilt is too much fun as well. I send quilt tops down to Ontario for Victoria’s Quilts Canada. It is nice to have lower postage rates. 😉 Carol
    https://quiltschmilt.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the ducks in a row on the strip water play.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Adorable momma and baby duckies!!! The subs also deserve an honorable mention - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations on the new baby 👶 love your ducks! You always have the cutest ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your projects are fabulous! I love the Rick rack in the water of the duck quilt! Also, that you sewed the bills and wings down and made no-button eyes. Tumbler fish could be my new favorite! Special! And the placemats! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful projects! I like the idea of reversible placemats. And the eyes on the tumblers, Who'd of thought they make such great fish.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Awesome projects for the Hop, Selina!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What great quilts you've made. Love the 'duck quilt' and doing a QAG sounds so simple and pleasant to get to the end and be nearly done. I, too, don't like buttons on baby quilts so I was happy to hear you'd stitched the eyes. That last little ducky is off in LaLa Land and isn't paying attention; par for the course when it's last!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love your quilt, congrats on the new baby.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I’ve got to get that rubber duck pattern! I have a bunch of duckie fabric

    ReplyDelete
  37. LOVE the rubber duck quilt. It's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great projects. The ducks are fabulous, but so is you QAYG placemat, and your tumblers. As always you have such nice projects.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you for sharing all your quilting projects, I love them all but the momma and her baby ducks is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  40. These ducks are so cute! Great timing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.