Sunday, May 10, 2020

What did you do during Lock Down?

Wow I didn't realize that I haven't been doing any posting.  Quite shocking to see that my last post was in mid March. While I haven't been posting I have been pretty productive during this stay at home time.  WARNING  This will be a rather long and photo heavy post.

One of the things I found out about myself during this time was that I used  entirely too much paper product.  While toilet paper is a major necessity, paper towels and napkins not so much. First hit was to go back to cloth napkins.  I used them for years.  Stopped around when I retired. 


  I had yards and yards of this great fabric so I knocked out 18 cloth napkins for regular  daily use.



Next on the hit list were paper towels.

I took a flannel sheet that was hanging out in the closet taking up space ( I live in Florida and don't use flannel sheets anymore) and cut it into 6.5 x 11.5 sections and made 4 -5 dozen faux paper towels.  


I just did  one fold and some zig zaggy top stitching  to neaten them up.


They live on my counter where the paper towels used to reside in a sweet basket.


They even have there very own laundry basket that they share with the napkins and dish towels.

I still use some paper towels for things that are very greasy ( don't want that in my washer) and things on my very doggie abused floors.  


So for Easter I was able to give embroidered rolls of paper towels to some close friends  without  purchasing anything.  In fact I still haven't had to purchase any paper towels and probably won't need to for several months.

Like so many of my quilting buddies I've been mask making ( over 100 to date ).  I have family in hard hit NY and NJ  and sent the first few batches there, then to friends, neighbors and to several organizations in my area through our quilt guild.   


This was my first and only of this type of mask.  Just wasn't comfortable making the pleats and all that bias tape.


Switched to these and never looked back


This group was made from kits from our local Quilt shop picked up curbside.



And then my personal favorite, the Ghastlies


I also spent some time with my ScanNCut.  One of my great accomplishments was taking this picture 


And turning it into this jig saw puzzle


and this shot into


this puzzle.  I've done this now for 10 photos as gifts for several friends.  They are printed on 8 x 11 labels affixed to cereal boxes and then cut.  About 100 or so not very thick pieces as in a normal puzzle. Just thick enough to put together and enjoy.

While on the topic of my ScanNCut I also did some cutting of Iris paper Piecing designs 




for my sister to play with during lock down. 


And then I did a tee shirt for my niece that I had in the to do pile for a couple of weeks before lock down. Trust me, it is the front of a tee shirt.

On to sewing,  my sister loves hats and  the Easy Peasy draw string bag so I spent some time making her some goodies.


This is her reversible hat with matching masks ( or a coordinating bra ;-} )

And her hat with matching back pack


And just for kicks and giggles and because I had a bunch of this fabric I made her some hot plates


and pot holders


Cause everyone needs to have a hat that matches her kitchen.

I've done 5 tops, 2 have been completed the other 3 are in waiting.  


This was the first top done and the smallest of the group.  It is currently set up to be finished next. we'll see if that happens.

Number 2 will be posted on the 20th as part of the "It's Cool To Be Square" blog hop brought to you by Carol over at Just Let Me Quilt from the 18th to the 22nd.  And yes that one is completed.

The third quilt was also suggested by someone in my guild I think. 


It was supposed to be scrappier but I really liked that black leafy fabric and the blue corner stones.


So while it's not scrappy it is all from my stash.


And it is completed so what more could I ask.

And to wrap up this long post are these just too adorable pup tops


They are from Sew Fresh Quilts pattern DOGGO.  I love her patterns.  I think this is the 5th or 6th one of her patterns  I have done. I also know that I have done each one more than once.

I am sure I've done some other stuff but these are my highlights.  Til the 20th please stay safe and keep out of harms way.  Go Craft something.














4 comments:

  1. Good for you Selina being so productive these past couple of at home months. I don’t even come close to that. So many wonderful and totally useful items too. And all from your stash is the best. I can’t say I over bought on paper products. We already had our usual supply about the time hoarding began. Boy was I happy about that. I can’t imagine some people will need TP again for a couple of years! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you have been super busy. Those Doggo quilts are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed seeing all your projects! The "did I roll my eyes out loud" is one of my favorite sayings--I guess I should make a tshirt like that too! I love those hats--what pattern is that? I would enjoy having some, and I bet my granddaughters would too. I've made tons of masks and like that shaped one much better for myself and family but have made mostly pleated ones for giveaway. Thanks for sharing all your "goodies"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though you haven't been posting regularly, it would seem you're all caught up now! I love DOGGO!
    Those embroidered paper towels are too pretty to use though - adorable! I like that you used your stash to make useful things.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.