Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Wish Upon A Star Blog Hop

I made my wish and it happened.  Another hop. I love them, they're such a fun way to spend time with quilty buddies.  Welcome one and all.  Thanks go to Carol for this one where the only requirement was that your piece, no matter what it is, contains at least one star.
OK, my piece contains a hum dinger of a star.



I started this quilt last summer when a guild sister asked if some of the members could make a lap size/ afghan size quilt for the military members of the church where we hold our guild meetings. This would be an on going project.

I said yes and got the top finished within the week.  Got it sandwiched during the next week and then I hit a huge snag.  I do very basic machine quilting. I usually don't have issues so I generally never look at the back of the piece as I fly along.    HUGE mistake.  When I finished quilting the first half of the quilt I looked at the back as I flipped it to work the other end. OOOOOOPS.  The entire back of the first half of the quilt was ruffled.   I apparently broke my walking foot and never noticed.

I took the mess and folded it up for another day.

Fast forward to Carol's announcement of this hop.  It was just the push I needed to pull this thing out after 6 months or so and rip, rip, rip and then turn it into a wonderful gift for a Veteran.




This quilt was made using the pattern  idea from  Mary  who is involved with the Heart Strings Quilt Project.  She shares her patterns and pattern ideas for use for Charitable projects.  I loved this  idea. 

This is the second or third time I have made this particular star quilt.  

Ok, as all of you regulars know, I am a bit of an over achiever.  I will admit that up until 3 weeks ago this quilt was all I planned on posting for this particular hop.  

Well 3 weeks ago I heard of a member to member class being offered by The Quilt Guild of the Villages.  The class was for quilts using the HST.




The class was on May 12 and one of the options was a Star Quilt, such wonderful timing. I was able to get the top completed just in time for this post. 



The quilt used the better part of 2 charm packs.  I chose a couple of sweet packs full of little boy stuff, you know, trucks and cars and planes.  The only problem with this quilt is that I don't have little boys in my life.  So this top will probably remain folded up unquilted  for  the time being waiting for just the right little boy to need it.


Sorry about the quality of these pictures and the problem of the gray washing out the other light colors but as with so many of you, we've really had nothing but clouds and rain, not exactly great photo weather.



Thanks for stopping in but now its time for you to travel on and check out the other posts for today and any you may have missed yesterday. I am including the list of all of the participants in this wonderful event.

Have fun and enjoy all of the terrific ideas presented by these oh so talented quilters.


39 comments:

  1. A couple of great star projects, I really like that veteran's quilt, the pattern is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these quilts..especially the last one...it just pulls me in

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these quilts are stunning! I am so impressed that you used the blog hop to spur you to rip out all that quilting. I love your colour placement in that quilt. Thanks for the links to that pattern. What are the dimensions of the second quilt? Both quilts look great for donation quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love both quilts! The second one is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely quilts. Love love love the purple backing fabric 😍

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quilts--I like both of them. Glad you got the 1st one back out and fixed it. Someone will really appreciate your work. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quilts. I so relate to the problems with the first one. I have learned practice piece, then my quilt and after just a few inches check my back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Selina, you are always a shining star in my life and you never disappoint with your "over achieving." I saw the first quilt and thought it was a quilt I'd love to make. It's so beautiful...glad you used your ripper on it to bring it back to life! Then I saw that second star quilt. Wow! I love the design and fabrics in it. You definitely shined on this hop! Thanks for playing along sweet lady. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning,
    Well your beautiful quilt was so worth pulling it out and finishing it up! It is gorgeous - I just love the navy fabric you chose. I think your quilting looks great. Your second project is equally as nice and I love how it came together.
    Happy Tuesday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. The red, white and blue star quilt is gorgeous and perfect for a veteran. I'm glad you didn't completely give up on it.

    The fabrics you used in the little boy quilt are adorable. If the need doesn't come up before, it would make a great H2H quilt in 2019 :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great quilts. So sorry you had trouble with the quilting, but it turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A huge congrats on all the ripping! Nothing is more frustrating than having to take things apart, even more so when your half way thru it! It would have likely sat in a bag here for eternity! LOL!! That new star quilt is awesome. I might have to look into making one like that myself! Hummm.... more inspiration!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you finished your veteran quilt; it's beautiful. I adore the "boy" star quilt. It's a great pattern. Thanks for sharing your lovelies and the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. your quilts are lovely. I love it when something comes along that gives me the push to finish something.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both quilts are Super!! Thanks for sharing..and inspiring us all :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I am so glad to read that I am not the only one whose projects get sidelined when I hit a snag. Great finish on that one. Take the time to quilt that other star quilt now - rainy days don't come, it's lovely, and it'll be ready when you need a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful stars. I love the layout for the little boy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that quilt is just stunning!!! I love the way you put the red triangles on the top and bottom as well, just sets the center stars out so nicely! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. that's a great quilt and I love the other star

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your shared two beautiful quilts. I love the graphic nature of the first quilt. The second quilt is in such soft mutted colors. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both your quilts are beautiful. Thank goodness for this hop, because how hard it can be to get back to projects that have gone wrong. But the ripping was worth it.... the finished quilt is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good for you for picking out the the stitches on the first quilt ... I know how difficult that can be ... and frustrating. You did good! The sweet little boy's star quilt is wonderful. Great job! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree blog hops are great for learning different tricks .I always get color ways ideas...lol I use alot of light grays now for back growns... happyness04431@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Two FABULOUS stars! Thanks so much for sharing. If you don't find another use for the second one, maybe next march you can check out Hands2Help 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Selina, nice to see you... Love both your projects, but the class one is wonderful. I'd have never thought to piece the HST's to create a larger star effect. Very Cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. A super star, this is a quilt that will be so loved.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love how the HST's look in the larger star. That is just so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my, lots of wonderful star quilts. Most of us (Me, for sure.) understand the rip, rip, of sewing; it sure is disappointing when things are going wrong and you don't realize it till later...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great QOV. I just joined the group. I'm not even going to discuss thee rip rip. Been a good day, don't want to talk anything up.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The blog hop was just the encouragement you needed to finish up that wonderful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW, your quilts are amazing. Beautiful stars. They shine for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for sharing your two beautiful star projects!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful stars! I really love the star that you made with navy & white- such a striking combination. Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Once again I'm marveling at your generosity. But what a good opportunity you had to fix the quilting mis-stitches! I'd take advantage of that motivation as well. I especially like your workshop quilt, and think it will be a great gift for a boy. Funny though that you have no boys in your life, and that's all I have! It's always good to see what you're up to. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am so glad you were able to finish your veteran's quilt. It's so pretty! Love your second quilt too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.