Monday, February 20, 2012

Having a Great Holiday Weekend

Here in the states we are celebrating Presidents Day today.  For me it's a Monday off for a 3 day weekend. So far it has been terrific.  Saturday morning I got my Valentine's present.  I had vetoed flowers and candy and asked for a new chair for the sewing room instead. My OLD chair had a tendency to change heights throughout the day. Sometimes I could actually start at high and end at low or sometimes it refused to go high at all which would limit how long I could sew before the back and knee started to complain.



Isn't it wonderful?

Several weeks ago, Sarah of  http://confessionsofafabricaddict.blogspot.com/2012/01/whats-cookin-at-sweatshop-week-18-lots.html  had a challenge and give away.  I won. My prize came in the mail on Saturday.




I got the name of the sponsor in there well didn't I.  Thank you both.  I enjoyed the challenge tremendously.

Now on to Sunday, I have been sitting on a bin full of Batik scraps I purchased from John Flynn several years ago. I bought them by the pound and it was a great purchase but I just didn't know what I wanted to do with them.  This past week I saw postings throughout the blog world  for Granny Square quilts and thought that it would be a perfect quilt for these pieces.  I found this tutorial http://blueelephantstitches.blogspot.com/2012/01/granny-square-quilt-block-tutorial.html   to use and the blocks worked up beautifully.




Haven't gotten up the nerve yet to trim them square.   Whipping up a few more are on my agenda for this afternnoon.  But before that I am picking up my mom and we are going out to lunch.  We are meeting my sister and her grandson. Should be a great time. Time spent with my mom and sister ususally turns into one huge giggle.  Looking forward to it.
Have a great day.

6 comments:

  1. A good chair is a must. Congrats again on the block design win. I am love seeing these Granny Square blocks - might just be inspired. Have a fun day today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must check out the link for the granny squares blocks, looks like fun. Love the batik fabric, gorgeous colours. Hope you had a fabulous time with your family, with lots of giggles
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Judy,

      I am just testing what this repy button does. Does it notify you that I replyed to your comment?

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the win!!!! And that chair, happy valentines day to you :) I've been seeing those granny squares all over and really have got to try them. I LOVE yours in the batiks and I know I have a whole boat load of those. Thanks for the link

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the win! and the chair! (thoughtful hubby there!) and the Granny Squares are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the win! Your quilt was ingenious.
    Also like the batiks for the granny squares. I made two squares when
    the pattern was published in a quilting mag. a year or two ago. Used a nice warm mottled brown for the edges.....you are welcome to them if you want 'em!
    If this heat wave continues you can turn on the air and stitch all you want.
    Hey...also love your new chair. Looks comfy especially with that great top as a backdrop!
    June08816@Aol.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.