Tuesday, January 17, 2012

New Project for the New Year

Generally I spend January, February and March catching up on my reading and doing some knitting.  Since becoming a member of the blogging world that’s not so easy.  There are way too many quilting ideas to tempt me back to my sewing machine.  I am doing a little reading.  I got a Nook for Christmas and I have started a pair of socks and have gotten to the toe of the first one but I really want to sew.


Over the last couple of weeks I feel like I have seen Spider Web quilts everywhere. I Googled and found severalto look at  and a video to watch and I just had to try it.  I have a large shoe box (guys sneaker size) that I have been throwing misc scraps into for the last few months  that were too small to be given a real home  . Thought this would be a good place to start.  I am a traditionalist and am using phone book pages ; )  for a foundation.  I don’t know about by you but my yellow pages has shrunk down to sheets 7X9. Not so big.  Therefore the blocks aren’t very big. Something like 9 inches square.




Not counting the white centers which I am pulling from my stash I am using scraps from the box. I don’t need anything longer than 4 ½ inches.  I’m trying to do a block or two a day.  It’s taking me about an hour to do a block. So far the only problems I am having are remembering to shorten the stitch length each time I sit down and removing the paper is awfully boring not to mention messy.





I was planning on doing a top with 24 blocks and borders.  Made that plan before I realized that the phone book sheets were so small.  I may have to go to 48 blocks to make it worth my while. I’ve got 12 blocks done.  I guess I’ll make my decision at 24 blocks.  I know I can manage that but my fear is that if I decide to make this that much bigger it may become a UFO and I haven’t done that in a while and don’t want to get back into that habit.  

It will take me a couple of weeks to get to 24 so I don’t need to rush the decision. No matter, I really do love the way it’s coming together and I’m glad I started it.

These are the 12 finished blocks on the wall.  I hope keeping them there will keep me on track.


4 comments:

  1. It looks great. I didn't see the spider webs at first because the stars are so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know = the phone books are smaller and the paper a little heavier. Tape a note to your machine or inside that shoe box to remind you to change the stitch. I use the colorized add sheets from the newspaper (no newsprint paper as ink comes off) - those pages are large and tear off easier. You could even add a couple of solid borders and then finish with a piano key border to enlarge rather than the web blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colours Selina, and fabulous being able to use scraps. Will stayed tuned to see if 24 or 48 blocks are done
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting colors you are using here! Looks bold! I posted about my win from your giveaway on my sewing blog yesterday. Thank you again for drawing my name. So cool!

    ~Linnea

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.