Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Fairy Tales Blog Hop

 Sometimes blog hop suggestions and internet tidbits run into each other with perfect timing.  Joan's idea for this hop about Fairy Tales and an article about an audio book series crossed my path in the same week.

To be honest when I signed up I had no idea whatsoever what I would do for this hop and I was pretty much going to do something regarding a traditional fairy tale with a Disney spin.  But then an article regarding Doctor Who audio books caught my eye and my personal fairy tale started to take form.

Yes what better tale could there be than spending time in the TARDIS. If you are at all curious about the TARDIS this link will get you to more info than you could possible want to know.  Otherwise it stands for Time And Relative Dimension in Space.  Its the Police Public Call Box that the Doctor travels in. Its a Type 40 time and space machine from Gallifrey, his home planet.


This is an actual English Police Call Box

I have been  a follower of The Doctor Who BBC program for several years so the idea of making this quilt for myself was truly a Fairy Tale.  I just don't know why I never thought of it before.


I googled  TARDIS quilt patterns and was amazed at the choices out there in our universe.     

Really as a quilt pattern goes this one called   Relatively Dimensional   by    Hunter's Design Studio        was really incredibly easy. Lots of straight seams with 3 main fabrics and a couple of small extra pieces for the windows, lights and signs.  The piece finishes at 50 x 80.

The tough part was the wording. Especially the small wording on the white panel.  According to the pattern designer you could order a panel with the words for both sections from  Spoonflower  . The pattern did include a print out of the wording in the correct size if one wanted to embroider, applique or trace.  

Me I went to my other toys.  The wording for Police  Public Call Box is done with Heat Transfer Vinyl cut on my Scan N Cut.


It always helps to mirror image the letters for Heat Transfer as words and not just letters. DUH


There that's better.

and the door panel information was done by printing from my copier directly onto the fabric..


Not exactly centered.  Sadly I didn't even notice that until it was way past my ripping point. I think it was a combination of time of day and excitement.

I haven't gotten it quilted yet since I don't have a solid idea as to what I want.  Currently thinking scattered stars but not really sure.


So there you have the basis for my personal fairy tale.  Sorry but I can't share with you which of the Doctors I will be sharing  my TARDIS Fairy Tale with as I'm having a problem deciding if it will be 


David Tennant - the 10th Doctor


Christopher Eccleston -the 9th Doctor 


Matt Smith - the 11th Doctor

or


Last but far from least  my personal Dr. Who, MJ.
He is 6'3" so it's a good thing that the Tardis is bigger on the inside than the out.

One of them or maybe all of them, hummmmmmmmmm

 I'm sure whomever I choose,  my Fariy Tale will have a happy ending.

Joan thanks so much for coordinating such a fun event and making us all think and act upon such happy thoughts.

Please take some time and check out the other Fairy Tales being presented this week.  You will be so glad that you did.  Here is the complete list for your viewing pleasure. 

Monday June 21

Creatin’ in the Sticks

Samelia’s Mum

Kathleen McMusing

Becky’s Adventurers in Quilting and Travel

VroomansQuilts

Food for Thought

 

Tuesday June 22

Quilted Delights

Stitchin at Home

Karrins Crazy World

 Quilting & Learning - What a Combo!

Sewing Up My Fabric

Selina Quilts

 

Wednesday June 23

Just Let Me Quilt

 Websterquilt

Inflorescence

Elizabeth Coughlin Designs

Just Because Quilts

Domestic Felicity

 

Thursday June 24

Scrapdash

That Fabric Feeling

Ms P Designs USA

Quilt Schmilt

Patchouli Moon Studio

Days Filled With Joy

Goofin' Off Around the Block

 

Friday June 25

Quilt Fabrication

My Bumbleberry Life

Songbird Designs

Words & Stitches

MooseStashQuilting





32 comments:

  1. Fantastic Quilt! I am enjoyed watching Dr. Who. Even made a couple Tardis quilts myself. Nothing this big though, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job with your TARDIS quilt! And I think all the words came out just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a Dr. Who fan, but I love your Tardis quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't the internet wonderful? You managed to pick a good pattern. Who would have thought there would have been so many to choose from? I honestly don't know anything about Dr. Who, but you did an excellent job with the call box. I will have to check that out. It is so wonderful to see that all of the blogs so far have come up with something entirely different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve never watched Dr. Who but I love your Tardis

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome! I am not a Dr. Who fan but I know plenty and they would love your quilt! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a wonderful tale. Love the quilt and how you made the lettering. My first thought when seeing the 'words' was "What language is that?" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, this is fabulous, and definitely a fairy tale for any sci-fi lover. I started watching Dr. Who with David Tennant (my favorite doctor) and I hated seeing him go. You captured the Tardis perfectly...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who...doesn't love this fabulous Tardis? What a perfect place to dream of fairy tales in as well. You did a fabulous job and thanks for sharing just how you went about getting all the lettering onto your quilt. Lots of great ideas, instead of my standard ole applique! LOL!! I'm so glad you joined us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Neat quilt. I like Matt Smith the 11th Doctor Who.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great depiction of the Tardis! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply genious! You were very creative with this one, Selina. I love it! ....and I vote for MJ :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun quilt. You really did a fantastic job with all those words!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic! Love Dr. Who. This quilt is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun your Police Box has turned out! I love your solutions for all the wording. Great ideas all around. I don’t know a thing about Doctor Who except that a police box was always involved. I love your take on a fairy tale.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job on Tardis and yes, your fairy tale will have a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job and a great idea I love Dr Who

    ReplyDelete
  18. How fun! We were Dr Who fans years ago. I love your TARDIS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your tardis quilt looks fantastic! Growing up, I remember Dr Who being Tom Baker with the curly hair.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it! We used to watch Dr. Who but haven't for several years. This is great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Selina, I am a day late popping in the blogs on this hop. Just want to say I love your Tardis! I recently made a Tardis tote bag and a Tardis cross body bag. Got to love Dr. Who!

    I'm late, I'm late for
    A very important date.
    No time to say hello, good-bye,
    I'm late, I'm late, I'm late
    I'm late and when I wave,
    I lose the time I save.
    My fuzzy ears and whiskers
    Took me too much time to shave.
    I run and then I hop, hop, hop,
    I wish that I could fly.
    There's danger if I dare to
    Stop and here's a reason why:
    I'm over-due, I'm in a rabbit stew.
    Can't even say good-bye,
    Hello, I'm late, I'm late, I'm late.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Selina I’m in love with the Tardis. I also watch Dr. Who and have done so for years. Not sure which # is my favourite. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very creative, Selina!! Thanks so much for sharing with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Tardis is a great idea - my kids love Dr. Who. What a wonderful quilt. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great quilt idea! The TARDIS can take you anywhere your imagination can go. Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so glad you decided on the TARDIS! As much as our family is huge Disney fans, we got hooked on Dr. Who during Covid-19 shutdowns. So far, Christopher Eccleston is our favorite Dr. Who. Thanks for sharing! -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your quilt and Dr Who. David and Christopher were my favorite Dr's.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very Very cool!!! Quilts are cool... as well as bow ties :) My favorite is Matt Smith, and a very very close second is David Tennant... :) Making a Dr who quilt is on my bucket list! xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. This quilt is fantastic! How clever and creative plus well done. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Id go with MJ as Dr. Who bc who is MJ???
    June -NC

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh this is fantastic!! I hope you will show it again when it is quilted!! what a great idea for a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  32. My fav is 4th Dr Who Tom Baker -

    from willwork4fabric :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.