Thursday, July 25, 2024

Fishy

                                            Welcome to the last stop on the Smelly Fish Hop

                                                       A sweet way to start if you ask me.



Last months HOP,  For The Birds,  was as always, full of great talents sharing wonderful ideas to add to our to do lists.  I had an idea for this months hop but one of last months ideas from Daryl of  Patchouli Moon Studio jumped to the top of my idea list for this HOP.

In her post she showed several of the purses she makes for the SEW POWERFUL PURSE PROJECT. I looked into the link she provided and decided to give a try to one of these bags. 

After making the first bag with fabric I had on hand I decided I would make a couple more if I made a JoAnn's run to find some fishy based fabric.

The bag pattern that this organization requires is  very nice and very simple to do.  It has 2 pockets and no zipper. They are also addicting.  I've got 10 done to date.  I took them with me to 2 different meetings for show and tell and had several members ask for the link.  

I also went to a mini retreat and had a couple of members make them for this group and a few just wanting this easy breezy pattern.

My original idea was to make a set of Zipper Pouches using designs by Minki Kim based on her panel by Riley Blake.  Since I got as far as getting the fishy fabric for them, that turned into my mini retreat project.


I must have been in purse making mode this month because once I got the fabric for the Sew Powerful purses I had enough left over to make one zip type for my sister.


Now onto the Fishy block from my Polaroid quilt. There was only 1 fish related block. Good thing it was cute.


Well now that I've shared all my smelly fish with you I would like to extend my thanks to Carol for another fun idea for us to stretch  our quilting imaginations.

I hope you have stopped by to visit all of the smelly fish presented this week.  Just in case here is the list of where you can find any you may have missed.


JULY 22

Thanks for stopping by, hope to see you again next month



13 comments:

  1. All your bags are great! I especially like the zippered pouches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Selina those purses that you made for Sew Powerful are all wonderful! So glad you tried one and then more and more and YES they are addicting! As a quilter and bag maker, I have a lot of fabric, so love using up what I have to maker the purses to donate. I am even a Sponsor for this year's Sew-a-thon, which you can sign up for now through the end of August. Sewing the purses all the month of September and there are so many fabulous prizes from sponsors like Bernina (new sewing machines) and so many others. I am donating 2 prizes of 5 purse flaps each that I have created, and each are different techniques. The info is on my blog. Thanks Selina for helping to spread the word too about Sew Powerful as well. You can join our Facebook group if you ever want to and share the purses that you make and get inspired by others too. Thanks for the shout out to me and Sew Powerful Purse Project too. It's a great charity to use up scraps in making the flaps too. Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never fail to delight...well except maybe today! You just had to start the post with the most delicious looking dessert that I can not virtually eat! HAHAHAHA Seriously, you always inspire me and those purses you did for Sew Powerful are wonderful. I downloaded the pattern a long time ago and did nothing with it. I need to find it and make a few myself now. I will head over to Daryl's page and see what the Sew-a-thon is all about. Love your little zip pouches too. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your fishy purses. I’m laughing at how your “one purse” turned into 10. It’s so enjoyable sharing the sew Powerful message with others and creating the purses is so addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your zipped pouches and purses are just perfect! I need to look more closely at the Sew Powerful site and donate purses too. It's such a great charity and one that a sewist would love! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I see one of Daryl's bags I think I need to make one or two to donate. With the memory of a gnat, I quickly forget about it. I'm glad you caught the addictive bug (or fish) to make a few. They are beautiful and will be so loved, I'm sure. I've never seen that Riley Blake Minki Kim pattern. How cute is that! I love all your little zipper bags! Sweet little Polaroid fishy, too. You were a busy lady, Selina, and definitely dove right into this challenge. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you have been busy. The Riley Blake fabric really caught my eye, it is so stinking cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great purses, love the fabrics. And your pouches are super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Polaroid fish is adorable as are the bags and pouches!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute purses and pouches. The fish theme is really there. I really like the Polaroid looking block.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your fishy bags are really cute! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The purse's are another great way to hop and make things for charity at the same time. I love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All things are just adorable! I am a quilting lover and always try to make creative ones. Last months were quite busy because of my exams and even I had to consult online class taker to manage my academic burden but now semester break has started and I am ready to do more quilting. I was collecting ideas, thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.