Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Picnic Party Blog Hop

 When I hear the term 'picnic" my brain pictures ants and watermelon and blankets on the ground with warm food in a basket.  I don't think I've ever been to that version of a "picnic" so I don't know why it comes to mind.  I grew up in a house where for a picnic we went to the backyard and had food from the refrigerator.  We sat at a picnic table  in the yard or at the kitchen table.

So thank you Carol for having this wonderful event where we can share our experiences with our quilting buddies.

On July 4th we went to a friends house for a barbeque ( doesn't that equal picnic? ) . My type of eating, we sat at a table and had hot dogs and hamburgers cooked on a George Forman with Potato Salad and Cole Slaw from Publix. I actually made the dessert that failed miserably.

The success was the table topper I whipped up.


Yep, slices of watermelon cause it was a picnic.

Since I think Watermelon and Ants I felt the need to bring ants to the party too.  




I did make these also but they are not stitched therefore they don't actually count for this hop.  They are made from the cutest clip art ant I could find and cut form HTV and then were ironed onto paper  napkins.

Well then I needed to add ants officialy to this event.  I found this great design for my embroidery machine that was a perfect fit.  

The problem was that I didn't know what I wanted to do with it.  Table runner or placemat.

Now, I'm running out of time.  The first time I ran the design I didn't have it set securely in the hoop and decapitated my ants.  


?? placemat ??

No big deal except that this design took about an hour to stitch out. I figure that I will need 3 to make a runner and 2 for  placemats not to mention finishing something.


?? tablerunner ??

I think I'm leaning toward the table runner and using the decapitated ants in the center.

I always try and finish my hop projects the weekend before the hop.  This hop kinda snuck up on me because I had a little bit of reality use up my time in a very good way but unexpectedly .

I want to show you what my little bit of reality looks like


This is our newbie, Benny. 
Benny came into our life last month and has been one very energetic addition.
He is a rescue that we think is close to 2 years old. He is extremely nosey.  He wants to be everywhere and do everything and we love him to pieces.
He wants all of the attention I was trying to give to the ants, he won.

Well thanks for visiting and please take the time to visit all of the other wonderful participants in this hop and leave them a good word of encouragement.  Here is the list of all of us.











17 comments:

  1. That's a great design, thanks for sharing. Maybe the ants aren't decapitated. Maybe they are simply using the other shoulder to carry. LOL Your distraction is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely group of projects, and your dog is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Benny is just adorable and a wonderful excuse for the ants to be set aside! Love your watermelon topper. It almost looks like a clothesline basket, kind of thing! Very cool. I'm left wondering just what dessert you made that was a big fail????? LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable projects. Benny is so cute! I was wondering about the failed dessert too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course you had me laughing at the "decapitated ants." Everyone wants to be in-the-know about your failed dessert. I've made plenty of those! I love the round watermelon topper with the spiral quilting. As for Benny, what a cutie! I totally understand the distraction because I have Charlie. He has totally disrupted my life (in a good way) since we got him. He adds a lot of distractions! Thank you for sharing your picnic party topper, decapitated ants, and Benny with us today. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You didn't say what you made the first project out of or what size it was. Hmmm....thought it might be perfect if it was table sized and made from rope because it wouldn't blow up or away. Wouldn't that be something! Loved the watermelon and the ants from the emb. machine. That's a really cute project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your ants on paper napkins is intriguing! I really need to get the cricut out of the box. The table runner is a great idea and I'm happy to see you didn't throw away the design that didn't stitch to your liking. I agree with Susan, the heads are hidden on the 'other' side of the watermelon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your watermelon table topper! I personally think all ants should be decapitated - so I was chuckling when you said your machine did it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your projects and sorry about your dessert flopping. I have actually made a trifle out of a flopped cake and everyone loved it. It was embarrassing to admit that it was a flop invention. Thanks for sharing the ants, stitched or not, they do seem to love picnics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the ants on napkins! ---Robin. quiltyladyrratgmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your post! "Decapitated ants" - lol! Your table runner is spectacular - nice job. Love the ant napkins. You sound like a fun person to have on a picnic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing says "picnic" more than watermelon and ants. Very clever

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty table topper. I love the watermelons. The ants artwork is adorable as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The ants are adorable but not as adorable as Benny. Love the table topper.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the round table topper and the ants are too cute! Oh, so is Benny :) I'm sure he is going to be super helpful in the sewing room! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun project, Selina! Those ants are just adorable carrying the watermelon slice...but not nearly as adorably as Benny! I just love Frenchies! He's beautiful! You definitely can't NOT give him all the attention... at least I couldn't! I'm so glad he found a home with you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW How lucky Benny found you! He's adorable and he looks like the ambitious type pooch. Hope he picks up your quilting/embroidery quickly!
    Love your memories of ants with picnics! They naturally go together!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.