Monday, July 27, 2020

Christmas in July (then and now)

             Welcome and Merry Christmas.  Thanks to Carol for hosting this wonderful annual event.


(Meet Bunny, my mask model )

One of the positives of spending so much time at home (besides learning how to make face masks)  these days has been the good time spent using my toys.  Especially toys that spent most of their time in their travel bags.  A little over a year ago I got a ScanNCut  with the intention of using it to cut fabric for applique. 

I took several project classes and enjoyed them, put the unit back in the bag and there it stayed until next class.   Well in April I decided it was time to find it, it's own spot where I could use it whenever I wanted without the packing and unpacking that always stopped me from starting a new project.  This hop was a perfect opportunity to learn what it was actually capable of doing besides cutting fabric.



After much time watching YouTube I decided to start this hop by playing with fabric and Vinyl.  I started with this adorable mug rug.  



Well if I was going to gift it I thought that it needed a matching gift bag.





Oh and a card.  The card is the vinyl ironed onto a card made from photo copying the fabric onto card stock.

This is the vinyl that  is used to decorate tee shirts.  You iron it on and its there pretty much forever and is washable.  ( I haven't tested the washing part yet)

I found that this is very addicting.  Can't believe  it took me so long to play this way with this machine.



Anyhow, the next project was this table runner.  I saw these design files and had this fabric in my stash and knew they would be a perfect Christmas gift.


I still needed to find something to do with this train design from the set that I HAD to use.  It was too big for a mug rug, my usual go to item.  Next on my go to list are place mats.  


This design is also the center of the table runner.


So this  set of place mats is another gift done and off my Christmas to do list.


OK so now I'm antsy to see what else I could do using my ScanNCut  for Christmas.  Back out to YouTube and there it was ............. Glass Etching.

I gave it a try on a glass mug using a simple design.  It went really well.  So I decided to use one of the trees from the place mats for my next try.  


It was a very detailed design to do and probably too detailed to try again anytime soon, but it was a successful adventure that is very hard to photograph.  Everything reflects off of it.



And then I found yet another idea, this one I didn't have time to finish but definitely worth sharing the concept with all of you.


ScanNCut  not only cuts it draws and one of the videos I saw was about taking a drawing / design and drawing it onto fabric.  I found this design online 




printed it out for some Blue Work.  Hindsight says I probably should have chosen a much lighter ink color for my base and yes this will be a mug rug.


Now for those of you who have gotten this far, you are welcome to leave a comment and I will pick one of you for my Christmas give away.  The gift will be this mug rug, gift bag and card from the very beginning of this post.  I'll pick a winner next Monday, noon Eastern.

Thanks for stopping by and please stop in for a visit and a little Good Cheer from all of the other participants in this hop who I have noted below.

Please Stay safe.

Look at this incredible list of bloggers who will share their Christmas projects with you:

July 27
  
July 28
  
July 29
  
July 30
  
July 31






49 comments:

  1. What an amazing group of projects! It's always fun when a tool/machine can inspire so many ideas. (Please leave me out of the giveaway...not that your projects aren't wonderful!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That machine is amazing! In addition to the things that would naturally appeal to me as a fiber-arts person, the glass etching just stopped me in my tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are very creative. Those placemats and plate look amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW...Your putting your Scan n Cut to great use. I have a Cameo cutter that is now acting up...but before that, I had so much fun playing with all the things it could do. I absolutely fell in love with glass etching. Looking forward to seeing more of your play time projects! That train is awesome! Makes me want yet another toy! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously want to live closer to you and all your toys. You never cease to amaze me with what you create with your embroidery machine and now the ScanNCut. Every one of those projects are just the cutest and would make great gifts. You rocked this "then and now" Christmas hop! Thank you, Selina! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great projects, and great toy. My husband bought me a new Cricut Air 2, and I just got it on Saturday and am eager to play with it. That Scan and Cut looks like it can make some great projects. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It simply astounds me to read about all these wonderful toys that now exist to cut down on all the work of cutting things out by hand. This one looks like such fun! Thank you for sharing and for having us over for a wee visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who knew the Scan'n'Cut was so versatile! Thanks for the show & tell - love that etched plate!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's not much positive to be said about a quarantine, but it does give us unexpected time on our hands. Love all your Scan 'n Cut projects. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are beautiful! Thanks for hopping along!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh I have a scan and cut too.....and it is safe under it's custom cover............not being used :( I really have to try some projects out. Thanks for taking time to share inspiration with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have a Scan n' cut -- but your projects are wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bunny looks very safe behind the mask. Lovely Christmas projects. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now I have to make a mask for all of my babies sitting around my house. Your bunny looks right in place. Love the Christmas projects and thanks for the chance to be a winner. Carol O
    Ottersl@pacbell.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful items, and certainly a little different, in a good way of course. There is always something special about Christmas isn't there, whether celebrated in July or December!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Selena, you have so many beautiful projects!! I love the idea of printing fabric onto card stock - that is awesome, thanks for sharing that! And another project I hadn't thought about using my Scan n Cut is the glass etching. I am definitely going to have to find that on YouTube and try it out. I've been using my Scan n Cut for a Sarah Vedeler quilt that I just love. Like you, mine stayed put away for a long time until March when CovidQuarantine happened and I happened across the quilt project! I have learned so much about it during this time and really LOVE using it. It was one of the most useful Christmas gifts I've received (I picked it out and DH bought it! LOL) Thanks for sharing your beautiful projects and for the opportunity to win your giveaway. I would love those gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the glass etching! Thanks for sharing all these different projects and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can see that you like trying new things and ways, too. I must give the vinyl that you "iron on and its there pretty much forever and is washable". Cork was my newest 'new' thing. The ScanNCut got a work-out; I'm impressed with all those Christmasy projects.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow so many awesome projects and what a great way to learn lots of new tricks for your Scan and Cut.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Holy cow, you have really been busy. A new toy can be fun and crazy to figure out, but it looks like you have that accomplished. Such fun projects.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing all these great projects. I need to investigate more about the iron on vinyl. I have a scan n cut and have never used any. What brand did you try? I am kind of excited by all this...although my scan n cut is not with me...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such fun projects! You have me itching to try out some vinyl.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Selina, I always love seeing what you are up to. Looks like you are having lots of fun with your scan n cut.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That’s an impressive collection of Christmas projects!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What wonderful projects. Thank you for inspiring. This is so different for me, that I need to go try it now. Thanks.
    quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your ScanNCut certainly is getting used now! I've often wondered if I'd take the time to learn how to use one of these machines. Being quarantined does have a few benefits, eh? The project possibilities are endless and yours are so sweet!
    duchick at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are all so cute! Love the snowman!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The way you have been using/learning your Scann Cut is truly inspiring! Your bunny’s mask is a sweet gentle reminder to us all to mask up to keep us all safe. Thank you for a chance at winning your sweet Christmas pack and for being part of another great hop!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! I am impressed with all the neat projects you have done with your Scan N Cut! This is exactly what I need to do with my Cricut Maker. I have lots of vinyl but have only made a few paper projects and a few fabric appliques so far. You have inspired me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great new toy. All your projects look amazing. I would never have thought about glass etching.

    ReplyDelete
  31. SEW glad to see you making good use of your "toys"!! You made some really wonderful projects for the Hop, Selina.

    ReplyDelete
  32. All your projects look great!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love that glass etching idea! Now you can have either a matching set of placeware with a table runner, or mix it up with coordinated pieces. Lovely, just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow! You found so many ways to use your new toy. Thanks for sharing the fun with us!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a fun variety of projects! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love that snowman! He looks so happy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Getting a cutting machine has always been on my list but I wonder which to buy. Your Scan and Cut did a marvalous job cutting your designs in fabric. Thank you for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I like to see people use their toys - and enjoy them. All of your projects are wonderful and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have wondered what a Scan N' Cut could do--interesting!!
    barbkaup(at)(yahoo)(dot)(com)

    ReplyDelete
  40. looks cute
    bn100candg at hotmail dot comt

    ReplyDelete
  41. That Scan N Cut looks fun. I like the glass etching.

    ReplyDelete
  42. That Scan N Cut looks fun. I like the glass etching.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Looks like you made a good purchase with lots of versatility. I like the glass etching, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wow, what a lot of ideas for your Scan'n Cut! You're going to get a lot of use out of that machine, I can tell. I had no idea you could design with it. The snowman is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  45. You have become a real pro with your SNC. Your version does so much more than the one I used to have. I love all of your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  46. As always, wonderful projects Selina. I'm glad your finding your SNC useful to. I also own one and they are amazing machines.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I enjoyed the uniqueness of each of your projects I am amazed at the creative ideas that can be accomplished with a SNC.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Kathy R.
    The items you made are beautiful. First time I heard of a ScanNcut. This is something I need to look into to. Enjoy making more unique gifts.
    petuniakr@aol.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.