Tuesday, September 10, 2019

My Favorite Quilt Block Blog Hop - How about TUMBLER BLOCK




I love the idea of having a favorite block.  For years I loved star blocks of all kinds but one day maybe 2 years ago I fell in love with the Tumbler Block. I have no idea what triggered it but I am still running with it.




This Flag and several other of my tumbler pieces can be found here


Last summer I participated in a Christmas in July Hop Tumbling Toward Christmas where I posted 4 different tumbler projects that I made for gift giving.



This Halloween Quilt  and a couple of other examples can be found here.

But my absolute favorite Tumbler Block creations are my Coasters which can be found at the bottom of the post


So all of these pieces made it very difficult to come up with something new for this hop.  I first went to a work in progress.  



These little tumblers are part of a leader/ender project.  Didn't think I could get it to the size I wanted by the start of the hop



I am currently dabbling with Sashiko and thought I'd see how it would work , not so much.


Of course there is always a mug rug to fall back on



I then went to the Tumbler box and dragged out a bunch of cut tumblers that I keep on hand and looked at them for a couple of days. And then as so often happens, in the middle of the night the idea for a quilt popped into my head.




This was a quilt as you go project.


I don't generally name my quilts but Tumbling Tumblers just seems to fit.  This quilt will be going to a Veteran at a Veteran's day program given by the church where CFMQG meets monthly.




And last but not least is this little mug rug which meets my commitment to include an embroidered item in every blog this year.  This little guy was a test item on several levels.  The flower and leaves are  a coloring page downloaded onto my machine and converted into an embroidery design.  Then I added a tumbler block as a flower pot.  It looked too plain so I then found a heart design on my machine to add.  Then since my sister is always concerned that she would ruin a mug rug with a tea cup "ring" I added a  layer of iron on vinyl to the top before binding. All in all a very successful test. The only thing I don't understand is how I'm related to my sister, she's concerned about Tea Cup Rings and I worry about wine stains (not).

So thank you Carla for coordinating another wonderful Hop Along Event and for once again making my brain hurt in such a wonderful way.

Thanks so much to all of you for stopping by and please take the time to visit all of the other wonderfully talented ladies participating this week.




My Favorite Quilt Block Blog Hop Schedule

Monday, September 9th


Tuesday, September 10th


Wednesday, September 11th


Thursday, September 12th



Friday, September 13th



36 comments:

  1. I can feel your pain when looking into your scrap bin. I often end up admiring all the beautiful small pieces, just to decide that "tomorrow" is the day I will start something new. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great uses of the tumbler block. Really nice projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't really used a lot of tumbler blocks but you have given me a couple ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great projects, especially your quilt-as-you-go quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have those Accuquilt tumbler dies and have used them a couple of times, but I love the new ways you used them because it gives them so much more character. That little pot and flower is a great idea! Tumbling Tumblers is a cool quilt, too. Thanks for sharing your fun tumblers! P.S. I hope your brain feels better now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the Tumbler queen Selina! You have found so many creative ways to use that simple shape. All your projects look awesome. Love the quilt idea. Why is it that so many fun ideas come in the wee hours of time for rest? But that’s how it works. Then I just have to get out of bed and get started on the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great projects, all of them. The Tumbling Tumblers is a cute idea. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun ways to use the tumbler blocks. I have to say...I'm on your page about wine stains! LOL!! Or coffee, but definitely wine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I often wonder about my sister too, she's pretty silly sometimes! I laughed when I saw the name of you Tumbling Tumblers quilt because that is exactly what popped in my head as soon as I saw the quilt. So many tumbler options, makes me remember I have a tumbler top that needs assembled. Thanks for sharing Selina!

    Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Tumbling Tumblers! I have only made one Tumbler project, will have to make more. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all your projects but your Tumbling Tumblers is the best! I have never made this block before, but I think I might try it for the flag. What a great wall hanging! I think it's silly when people won't use quilted creations because they might mess them up. We can always make more. We don't mind! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You really went to town with all your tumblers! Great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You sound like me with the Tumbler block. One of the fist dies I bought for my Accuquilt was the 3inch Tumbler. I had no idea why, but I just felt the need to buy that because, like you, I felt the need to have to make a Tumbler quilt. I really love the quilt you made with the two sizes and the way you've designed the blocks. Great idea. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. NEAT TUMBLERS! THANKS FOR YOUR IDEAS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun idea and a good cause. I like the name, as it is just perfect for these blocks. My friend does a lot of QAYG, and I will have to give it a try one day. She loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow, I love what you did with that block! All the fun design ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your wonky tumbling tumblers!! Perfect name for your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The wonky really makes the tumbler look so different. Such lovely projects.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tumbler blocks are so much fun to work with! I need to make a few more to get a larger project going like yours. Great block to share...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness, there are really a lot of ways to use the tumbler block - who knew? Not me. Thank you for all the ideas. Your quilt is awesome and will be a great quilt for one of the Veterans. Thank you for joining the hop with your great post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful use of the tumbler block. Your Tumbling Tumblers quilt is inspired. Thank you for sharing in the hop ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow so many options using a tumbler block.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cute assortment of ideas. I love the Tumbler die, too. I enjoy using it for leader/enders as well. Fun to just keep sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think the tumbler flag is my favorite. Very clever use of that block! And your tumbler pieces in negative space is very modern and unique. Great design!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love making tumbler baby quilts, so quick and easy.x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your tumbler flag. I've wanted to make one of those for a while but haven't searched out the pattern yet. I also really like the way your tumbled your tumblers in the veteran's quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your little tumbler flower pot and flower. I'm with you in my preference for wine over tea.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, goodness! You've made SEW many tumbler projects. The Tumbling Tumblers and the coasters are my personal favorites. Thanks Sue sharing with the Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, that's a lot of tumblers! And your new quilt is so creative. Love the flag too. I've been using my Go! cutter this week to help me tame my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, such lovely tumbler projects! Funny, I'm quilting one right now!!! I do like the many ways you put them together! I have the Go! dies, but also the templates from Missouri Star I think... another one of my favorite blocks :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great projects! I've never tried the tumbler, but I love yours.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh what fun projects!! LOVE the little coasters!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I once stitched up a Quilt of Valor using tumbler blocks. I really enjoyed seeing your projects. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely ways to use the tumbler block!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such great quilts! Love the American flag. Great way to use the tumbler blocks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.