Thursday, September 13, 2018

Welcome To My House Hop

Welcome, welcome, welcome.

Come on in and have a seat, make yourself comfy.  Depending on the time of day that you are visiting would you care for a cup of tea, coffee, hot chocolate maybe a glass of wine?  Sure, feel free to use the mug rug,  that's why I make them.


Let me give you some back story on this one.  While looking through one of the several boxes of misc stuff for the these


I came across this stray house block.  It looked so sad and forelorn in with all the stray stuff. You know the hardware, rulers, pencils etc. etc. etc This box should not have had a stray block in it. It was also very fortuitous that it was a house block while I was working on items for this particular hop. I took it as a sign that I needed another mug rug.  One to commemorate this wonderful event.



Next up is the reason I was in the box of stuff in the first place.  for the past month and a half I have been working on lots of small pieces of raw edge applique/stitch art / sketch applique/free motion applique (it seems to have many names).  Not  quite an obsession more like taking a night class. Along the way I saw many fun ideas for using these tiny pieces.  One that I loved is decorative key rings.


I drew a house a couple of months ago and thought this would work into a key ring perfectly.  A little trial and error and low and behold key rings.  I don't think they would hold up in my purse but they are cute. Probably should have looked for a you tube version for durability but I'm happy.



yeah, that last one isn't a house but its just so cute and if I put my golf cart key on it, it should last forever since that never goes inside my purse.


A couple of weeks ago   Carla over at Creatin'in the Sticks  posted her Merry and Bright Christmas House Ornament. It drew me in and  I had to do it and I had to do it immediately.  I may have overstuffed my first house but other than that it was a very easy pattern to follow.  Of course it would have been better if I actually followed all of the pattern.



 I was on such a roll that I skipped over the part that clearly explains the attachment of the hangy  part.  So instead of being an ornament mine will now be a very festive pin cushion. 

Once I realized that I made the mistake I decided on a do over.


We retired to Florida so I thought I'd make my house look like it belongs here


This is from the back and the far side of the house


Carla's attention to detail is wonderful.

Last but not least is my quilt of the raw edge applique blocks that I mentioned earlier. It started several months ago with this block , don't know why.  I had been looking at it on the wall and decided it needed to be something. Now its a sweet little pin cushion.


I did one block a day for 30 days, pretty much the month of August.  The quilt wasn't intended for this hop but the rules say that your good so long as there is a house somewhere in the piece.  My quilt has 2.  One is the base for a couple of the key rings


 the other just another misc block  among many misc blocks. Since it fell into the guidelines I figured I'd run with it.




 Several of the blocks I used were from Minki Kims latest book Diary in Stitches and some of her older patterns.  I also used  a pattern from Erin Cox's book Sweet Tweets and that little deer is a Gail Pan design from 2016 that I've loved since the first time I saw it.


Well I am sorry that your visit to My House is over but I wouldn't want you to miss any of the other places to go and people to see that Carol has so graciously invited to participate in this event. Thank you Carol, I kinda feel like I 'm attending one of those parties where you go to one house for appetizers then one for salad, then the next for the entree and another for dessert.  All with excellent cooks  ;-}

So here is the list of excellent cooks.  Have fun visting them one and all.

September 10


September 11


September 12


September 13


September 14

27 comments:

  1. Selina, what delightful house. I adore houses, so I was delighted with all of them. You made me chuckle when you state that Carla is careful to detail and then you forgot the hanger for the house. I like how you repurpose to a pincushion. The FL house is cute. It makes me think of pink flamingos. They used to be popular here in OK in people's yards. One of my friends just turned 69 in August and was kidding that she wanted some for her yard. A few days before I saw some in a yard. So, I kidded her back that I knew where I could go steal some for her. She quickly told me that she was kidding. All your projects are wonderful. Thanks for participating in the hop and sharing with us. I hope you are safe in FL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful quilt house ideas. It’s easy to see that you love houses. They are all lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Selina, all your House projects are adorable! A house is such a fun and versatile thing to sew. Funny where you found the stray house block. Stuff like that happens and we find them least expectedly. I totally would have forgotten the ornament hangy thing also! LOL. Nice save as a pinnie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great projects. I adore those house key rings; those would make fantastic gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! So many fun projects! I love your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally enjoyed watching you make all those little blocks and now to see them in a quilt is so amazing. I love it! I want to make Carla's little house, too, but haven't yet. Yours is adorable both as a pincushion and an ornament. You made me smile when you said it feels like a house-to-house dinner going to each blog. I did many of those progressive dinners in my younger days and loved them. Thanks for hopping with us, Selina!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute post and cute houses! I hope your golf cart key ring has a Hole in One design on the other side -- drive 'em long, drive 'em straight, right?! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These projects are all so cute and a very nicely planned blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're obviously enjoying the raw edge applique, Selina - such fun houses!
    I especially love your key chain ones - mini adorable!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love visiting you. You sure went to work and found houses galore to share. Those keychains are just the cutest...and that golf cart, now that's just over the top in fun! Now on your Florida house ornie...all you need is a pink flamingo charm! LOL!! Loved your post and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing all the little houses you have made and for taking the lonely block and making it into a mug rug. I am going to look up the house ornament pattern. That was really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love all of those cute use's of a house

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent. Once you're on a roll, it looks like you can't stop! Wonderful house projects even if the golf cart doesn't quite fit in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Houses in every shape and form -well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow you have made a lot of houses, very cute!
    And I like your Polaroid Quilt very much - wonderful pics :-)
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have made my day. It's so much fun to see my patterns made by others and you rocked it! I think the ornament is an excellent pincushion and wish I would have thought of that. THANK YOU! Your quilt was such an inspiration and I really enjoyed following your journey on Instagram. I'm in love with your key chains. Too cute. Thanks for all the inspiration, Selina.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such fun house-y projects! I love them all! The quilt is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG!! Your house projects are SEW darling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love all your projects! My favorite are the little house keychains. They might not last forever, but they are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A progressive dinner quilting blog hop! Nice analogy :) Love all your projects esp the key rings and ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The good thing about something that doesn't last forever is the fact that you can get something new and equally as cute and not feel guilty since you used the first one up! Thanks for sharing all your cute projects.

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE LOVE LOVE everything about this post. Those keyrings are the cutest as is the ornament. I was wondering what you were going to do with all of those lovely stitcheries I saw on IG. The quilt is great, love the sashing fabric you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cute house projects. Love the key chains!

    ReplyDelete
  24. All of these are such cute houses. I think the key rings are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.