Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Small Smaller Smallest Blog Hop

Small Smaller Smallest is brought to you by Carol from Just Let Me Quilt  our fearless leader.  We thank you Carol for keeping our band of merry hoppers, hopping.

When Carol sent out the word about this hop I jumped in immediately.  I thought from the start that I would do 3 pieces, one of each size ( only had to do one small item to participate).  I thought I would maybe do something like a place mat for Small, a mug rug for smaller and a coaster for Smallest. All using the same type of design, say a house for example.


I started right away with the coaster. I had wanted to try to do some of the raw edge applique for awhile and this was a perfect opportunity.  I had an issue.  I think I liked the back better than the front.


Well at about the same time  that I was pondering my smallests direction I discovered that I needed something to make ironing seams open  a little easier.  I've seen the sticks covered with fabric, but me who is into tools, really couldn't justify the price for a stick wrapped in fabric and making myself one really isn't the type of sewing I wanted to do.

My brain had a flashback to high school sewing class where I kinda sorta remember using a tailors ham. Do any of you remember them?  Well I didn't see one at JoAnns or the local quilt shop so I Googled them.  There are several You Tube video's about them, their uses and their construction. Yes there were Tailors Hams available for sale too, but by that time I didn't care. I was now up for a new challenge.

                                         I found a nice size piece of green fabric in the stash.


I used wool to back the ham as is tradition.



One of the videos showed not only the making of a tailors ham but also of a tailors sleeve.  The video was called Ham and Sausage. 





Well I watched most of the videos, jumbled them all together and came up with my version of Ham and Sausage. I was able to make the tops match but I didn't have a piece of wool big enough for the back of the sausage.  So the sausage is backed with muslin also from the stash.

You get it, I now have a small and smaller.   In my readings I found that hams are not only backed with wool but are filled with saw dust. In one of the gazillion comments I read someone suggested using bunny litter which is made up of wood shavings.  While I don't have anyone handy who saws, I was able to find bunny litter in my nearest grocery store. Win, win.


The toughest part of this project was stuffing to the max.  I did pretty well on the Ham but the Sausage really needs to be opened and have a little more stuffing added.  It will work as is so it may never get fixed. 

I must say that this was  a really fun project to take on and I believe much more satisfying than covering a stick with fabric.

OK, so from the beginning I wanted to do 3 pieces for this hop.  I still needed a smallest.  Silly took over.   My brain started buzzing with the phrase "Green ham and eggs" but when I said it out loud it didn't sound right. I don't have kids or grand kids  so I had to do research on this next piece. Google straightened me out, it's  Green Eggs and Ham.

                                                                          Taa Daa





OK, it was silly but I really enjoyed making this over sized mug rug. It just makes me smile. 

I hope you got as much enjoyment from this stop as I had creating the goodies for it.

Please stop by and visit all of the other creative ladies posting today and if you haven't done so yet, stop in and visit all of the hoppers.  I'm listing them all here for your convenience.

March 5


March 6


March 7


March 8



42 comments:

  1. I have my grandmother's 'ham' and use it from time to time, BUT I love your ham and sausage along with the green eggs. Silly? NO - just having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha, at first sight I thought they were butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, interesting creations Selina! Your green eggs are cute, as is your little house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, green eggs and ham was one of my favourite books as a child, and yes, I passed the love on to my children!

    I think I may have to make my own tailors ham adn sausage, I keep wishing I had them, but never thought to make them! much better idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love your house! The tailor ham and sausage seems to be a great help. Thanks also for sharing the filling. I will check that out. Green eggs and ham, that sounds funny. I do not know the story but I love your mugrug! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable house! Fantastic ideas here, too...and you had me laughing with the green eggs and ham!!! Wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was such a happy place to visit this morning and definitely put a smile on my face. The house is cute (on both sides) and the green eggs and ham is such a fun mug rug! I love anything Dr. Seuss. I readily admit I am from the olden days, but I honestly have never heard of a tailors ham. I probably need one of those even if I don't know what it is! LOL As always, you are a pleasure to hop with and I'm glad you came along for some hopping...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very fun and creative projects... love the eggs to go with ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your green eggs, that is my all time favorite Dr. Seuss book :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Salina, silliness is good for the soul. Keeps us young too. I also had both originals from my Grandmother. But I seldom used them so they went to donations in my decluttering. Love how you are just getting around to wanting them. A fun post with fun projects!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Down right adorable!!! And I do not eat green eggs and ham. I do not eat eggs at all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed seeing your projects. Green eggs and ham, makes me smile.!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the green eggs and ham. Great idea. The little coaster is so sweet - both sides and your ham and sausage are great. I use my ham all the time and have considered getting the sausage, I may make one after seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a tailor's ham, but never knew about the sausage. It's a great idea. I love the green eggs and ham mug rug. It's a very timely project. The birthday of Dr. Seuss, is March 2nd. Thanks for sharing your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great bunch of useful projects. LOVE that little coaster!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for your post. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing. Especially love Green Eggs and Ham.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL Leave it to a hop to get the juices going and to open up more ideas and possibilities. I have both the stick and a ham that I bought several years ago - I never even thought of sewing them myself - double darn. Great projects. Of course I remember green eggs and ham but I also remember green eggs from my Easters years ago. I always thought that was the way Easter eggs were supposed to be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You crack me up!!!! Now the photo you posted awhile ago with the pet bedding makes perfect sense. And I must say...I LOVE your "Green Eggs and Ham". Toooooo funny!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Green Egg and ham love it. As soon as I saw it I had to have a giggle over it. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Silly wins every time!! I love your projects and the title is perfection! I think you couldn't start the day better than with a little smile from the mug rug under your cup of hot coffee (or tea, if you're me). The ham is a great idea and the rabbit fluff must be what we use for our 2 guinea pig cages. I never thought about using it as stuffing. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha! Such a great idea to make your own ham and sausage. Turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your mini quilts are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your green eggs, ham and sausage!!! Very useful things to make...now I may need to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are terrific! Fat free and no cholesterol!

    ReplyDelete
  25. adorable projects! Love the green eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am in love with your green eggs mug rug. It makes me smile as well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job! I never knew the names of those items before ;-) It’s nice to have some neat tools to make our work easier. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is really fabulous, Selina! I love how one project inspired the next, and the next and the next. And the scraps turn in to green eggs, OH, I get it - to go with the ham and sausage! LOL Fabulous. Once I was looking for a pressing stick and just took the spring off a wooden clothes pin. Worked great. Oh, and I like both sides of your cute little mini quilt that started it all.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I adore your appliqué coaster, it has to be the most original mini quilt I have seen on the hop. x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fantastic projects. I need the ham and sausage so bad. Thank you for sharing. I had never thought of making my own... Green eggs is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fantastic projects. Love them all. I remember hams but will have to google their uses and might have to make one of those. The green eggs are the best.Thanks for the smile and for sharing all these lovely projects.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I would never, ever think one could find "stuffing" for a "ham" in a grocery store! How clever! Loving that green ham and eggs coaster too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You left me laughing, Your eggs remind me of my expression at the end of a day of hectic quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  34. The little house is cute! Though the Green Eggs and Ham made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think one could go to a lumber store and get shavings from the sawing, heck they'd probably be happy to give them to you freely. At the same time I think you did a great job on your "hams"... I used them quite often when I was making my own clothing. I'm not a big believer in the idea that seams should be open for quilting, but it does seem to becoming more common. I've seen how over time clothing becomes weaker due in part to open seams, so I'm not sure I like the idea that the same could happen to a quilt, thus the resistance to opening seams when making quilt project... although I admit clothing does get a lot more wear and tear than a quilt does.

    I love the green eggs and ham mugrug, that's just to cute and brings me back to the fondness of how much I loved that story.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love your projects. Those egg mug rugs are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh, your mug rug made me smile on a frowny day. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great projects! Love your humor too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great projects your post made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love your green eggs, ham and sausage!!! Very useful things to make...now I may need to give it a go!
    บาคาร่าออนไลน์
    Gclub

    ReplyDelete
  41. very beautiful and so lovely work :) i like your good idea ,Thanks for the inspiration!

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.