Friday, December 20, 2013

It's Done - Let the Festivities begin

Back at Thanksgiving my nephew asked if I would make his current love  a quilt for Christmas. I am an easy mark and it was not only Thanksgiving but his birthday too.  This is what we started with.  You see he wanted a quilt highlighting his girl. Her mom picked out the assortment of old photos.


This is the second one of these he has asked for.  I trust that it will be the last.  I don't mind making quilts but I don't particularly like working with the photos. Do LOVE the results.



Since he is supposed to come sometime tonight to pick it up and I  only finished it about half an hour ago I took the pictures in the house.  Really don't have a good picture of the actual colors.


I need to thank Joan over at http://moosestashquilting.blogspot.com/2013/12/eye-spy.html
for posting her eye-spy quilt which gave me the inspiration I needed.  I saw her quilt and I knew I had to use the snow globe idea.  She linked to the pattern in her posting. 


this is the back. I had one extra picture and I loved it centered back there.  The fabric on the bottom is a beautiful batik that just didn't want to photograph.



It is also the fabric I used for the border of the piece.


The most difficult part of this project, before I started, was what could i do with so many old, real pictures of so many different sizes. The snow globes were the perfect answer because i could make them any size I needed.


It's now complete and I can now start writing out my Christmas cards.  Maybe, just maybe, some of them will get delivered on time, or not.  It is the after all the thought that counts, is it not.

One last little thing.  This is a set of dish towels I also made this week for a couple  of the girls I work with.  I used them in place of tissue paper when wrapping their gifts.


Don't know if I'll get back here before the big day so I will take this opportunity to wish you one and all a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy 2014.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, you are the Best Aunt Ever! I hope your nephew knows how special you are! :) The quilt is amazing. Love the towels, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snow globe is a perfect setting for photos - great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your nephew is do lucky, I love the snow globe effect. Have a great Christmas with family and friends. I look forward to seeing your creations in 2014
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love how it turned out. I so love photo quilts. What a wonderful treasure. I love it when quilters inspire each other! (I want to make a photo quilt now) LOL!! :-) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice... the snow globe idea was sheer genius! Congratulations on a wonderful finish!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the snow globe idea! Disney has a MM snowglobe....have you seen it??? Kinda witchy again!!!
    Happy Holidays to ya 'll!!
    Love
    June -NC

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilt turned out just lovely, I am sure your nephew was pleased ! Great job on the dish towels too . Merry Christmas to you and your family .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt! You pulled off an amazing feat from Thanksgiving until now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.