Wednesday, July 25, 2012

From Top to Quilt


Made this top a very long time ago and put it in the "Finished Top Drawer".

A coworker asked if I could make her a couple of quilts.  She had no design or color ideas in mind so  instead of starting from scratch, I brought in the contents of "the" drawer.  This was her first choice.


This top was a real test for me.  I sew fast but not very carefully. Strips that are 1 1/2 inches wide are tough. Wiggly seams are much more noticeable.  But all in all it was a success. A good challenge for me.


I sent my quilt to Sarah Russett of Sweet Potato quilts for quilting. She is a long arm quilter in NY.  We mail quilts back and forth with no issues. She did another terrific job.



She totally captured the mood of the quilt.



If you are interested in getting in touch with Sarah her email is srussett514@yahoo.com


I think the back was a major winner.  It is all red stars that look like fireworks on a creamy white background.  It was a Christmas remnant at the LQS.

I delivered it this morning and she was thrilled.  She did pick 2 tops.  The other is also back from Sarah.  Will need to bind that this week.  I think it would be a good hand sewing project for the opening of the Olympics Friday night.  Go USA.


9 comments:

  1. A great quilt! Just love it and can't wait to see the other one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome job!! I love the idea of setting aside quilt tops to finish later as gifts ... now my unfinished quilts have a purpose :) :) Thanks !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect and the fact that you already had the top done is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt! I'd pick that one first, too, and it has a nice story with it.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice quilt!! Your friend will enjoy it:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Selina, that's a really pretty quilt!! And the quilting is perfect! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun quilt! And it was nice that your friend liked one that was almost finished!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a gorgeous quilt! Love the bright colors and the great quilting. Looking forward to seeing your creation for the Think Christmas blog hop tomorrow. It's been so wonderful so far and can only get better!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.