Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Design a block, not me, so I thought.  I read Sarah’s post about designing a block and made a note to return to see the end results.    http://confessionsofafabricaddict.blogspot.com/2012/01/whats-cookin-at-sweatshop-week-18-lots.html

 I don’t think of myself as being creative. (OK I did actually design my Snowmen quilt but that was a guild challenge years ago).  I can look at a pattern and maybe change up the size of the block or the fabrics but I don’t generally design from scratch.  

Well I finished up reading blogs that evening and took the dog for a walk.  Out in the dark, cold evening with a dog who strolls not walks, with no one to talk to but myself. My brain started playing with the squares and the pre set measurements.  By the time I got back home I had come up with a block. Not an exciting block but a basic useful block.  I think its new, but are any basic blocks really new in quilting. I really hope I didn’t step on anyone’s toes with this block.   I came in from the walk and drew a sample of what was going on in my head. 





Then, heaven forbid I wait, I ran up to my drawer of scraps and started in.  





You know that well worn quilting adage Measure Twice, Cut ONCE,   there is a reason for that.  Remember I told you I designed this in my head walking the dog, well I did all of the math in my head. Turns out it wasn’t exactly accurate.  Thankfully the error was on the segment with the least number of pieces and I had only made 8 of that part.  It was only ½ inch off in both directions.







Oh did I neglect to say that I don’t do 1 of anything, even when I don’t know what it is I’m doing. Once I start cutting, it’s just easier to keep cutting especially when you want a scrappy look.  The block itself is made up of 2 – 5 inch squares, 4 – 3 ½ inch squares and 16 – 2 inch squares with 4 – 2 inch wide filler strips along 2 sides of the  5 inch squares bumping them up to 6 ½ inches.  Each block is made up of 26 pieces, or a whole lot of scraps. 







Well the end result on making multiples from the start is that I ended up with almost enough to make a nice size top. While the bits and pieces were out and about I finished up enough blocks to complete the top.  This is one of those blocks where you could put the blocks together in a number of ways to get many different looks and secondary patterns.  This version was my favorite.  Sorry I didn’t think to take photos as I  tested the various looks. 







I choose this layout because I really impressed myself with the 64 piece square made by the junction of the 2 inch  squares.  Never would I attempt doing that particular block and it tickled me. This was great fun and I hope some of you will try this out and let me know how you did.  Sarah if you let me know where to send this top I will gladly drop it and the many components I have left over in the mail to you.  And thanks for setting this challenge up. 

14 comments:

  1. How delightful you joined in the fun - there is no impossibles - just possibilities. I can even see this set differently for another look - what fun and wonderful scrap eater for sure. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really effective. great layout. You can design again, now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, look at that! See, you can do it, you just needed the challenge (says she who doubted herself too) to rise to the occasion. Your quilt top looks great, and just think of all those scraps you busted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! What fun that must have been to see such a lovely block develop. Fun way to use those scraps too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I like your quilt! You Go Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you got into it. I love your block... looks like a quilt within a quilt. Good job!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very very neat!! I love the 64-patch sections - what a scrapbuster!! So glad inspiration struck and you joined in!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh those blocks look great together. Great use of scraps!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! WOW again! Wanna walk my dogs?
    June@Aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like your mixture of different size squares - I tend to think only in similar-sized blocks, so it was great to see the possibilities that your design opened up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. EXCELLENT ! I only made 1 9" block ! You really ran with this and it is awesome .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great block & design! Thanks for entering your block in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a bit late to the party but wanted to tell you that I love your block design. Nice work! Hope to make a quilt like yours someday. I'm a new follower at Confession of a Fabric Addict and inspired to make some quilts for people who need a hug. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.