Monday, October 8, 2018

Small Kennel Quilts - Receiving Blankets - Dish Cloths

Hurricane Florence has done a number on small pets.  Requests having been coming in steadily since the storm for Small Kennel Quilts for all of the animals ending up displaced and in shelters.  I try and do 6 per request.

I find if I do them assembly line fashion I can knock them out at a little under 30 minutes each.  I am now in the habit of cutting left over batting into usable pieces for these quilts.  I also have several quilting friends who donate fabric and batting to me for this project.

These are the most recent finishes


The requests come through Quilt Pattern Magazine and Petfinder Follow the link for details and patterns and how you can join the team.


A few weeks ago a quilting friend mentioned a super simple receiving blanket video she saw on YouTube by   Missouri Star Quilt Co.     

Last week my neighbor mentioned that she had a brandy new, very early, great grand child and that in a couple of weeks she would be going north to a shower for him.  The perfect opportunity to give the self binding receiving blanket a try.


So cute and so simple


The first one took me about an hour and a half.


The second took 61 minutes start to finish.

You need to do a stitch all the way around where the binding is attached to the front to keep the layers from shifting.  On the first one I used a very slow to sew cute stitch  which added about 10 minutes to the project.  On the second one I just used a wiggle stitch.  # 4 on my Bernina.

The finished blanket measures in at about 34 inches square.

At my last quilt meeting one of the ladies was seeking a home for this spool of cotton yarn


One of the ladies at her table told her that I could probably crochet or knit something with it. Apparently I have a reputation.


She handed it to me and apologized that it was boring but that I could probably add some color to it.

The pattern was for a small and large wash cloth.  I started with the large and found it too big.  Posted them on IG and had a friend call and tell me that she really, really liked them.  Will probably use them for packing material for her Christmas gift.


I knew if I held onto all those scraps of color from a previous project  they would come in useful. Not sure who will find this set in their Christmas package. 

Not really sure what I'm up to next.  I do have several projects that should be finished and a hop or 2 on the horizon that I should give some serious thought to.  hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Until next time, stay happy.





4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Selina. You have been really busy. All great projects, thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made washcloths to donate last year ... I need to get that yarn back out and make some more. Love the idea of the donated kennel quilts too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love seeing how you're putting all your fabrics and supplies to such good use! You are to be admired, Selina. I especially appreciate what you did with that dull-colored cotton yarn. Your friends are fortunate to know you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.